Welcome to the third week of January, where we are addressing the larger question of “Why in the world would I move on purpose?” and the smaller question of “How many boxes does it take to contain college textbooks from 1992?”
When my girlfriend moved from SoCal to Missouri, a moving company showed up on her doorstep, packed the entire contents of her house including the cats, and re-fluffed the lot in her new and much colder home.
When I moved five miles across town, I packed the precious contents of my house for maybe five minutes before tossing every other item into the donation pile. It was easier for the Goodwill to store my belongings until I got my bearings in the new house. And by bearings I mean staring into a box labeled, “kitchen” and seeing a plastic chicken.
You don’t know what’s important until you have to move it.
True to the rules we laid out, let me put it to you like this:
- Identify the transition:
- I moved my family from our home of 22 years to one with a staircase in it.
- And its little pile of emotional baggage:
- I feel that houses should not come with staircases. This is, and you may quote me, a “bummer”.
- Here are my Pros and Cons:
- Pro: Free exercise for buns and thighs.
- Con: Not being able to see my feet when carrying items on said staircase.
- This is worth remembering:
- Buns do not enjoy landing hard on a stair edge.
To get a better idea of my wildly swinging pendulum of emotions when attempting to move, read this.
Meanwhile, let’s hear your thoughts.
PS: What is the expiration date on college textbooks? Ten years? Twenty? Just because they aren’t in the fridge doesn’t mean they won’t grow mold. Don’t ask how I know this.
The Forgetful Files is creating safe, supportive space to explore different life transitions with courage, kindness, humor, and practicality. Please join the conversation by commenting in the box below and check back frequently on topics that hit home for you. By offering your unique perspective and resources, we can remember that no one is alone during a plot twist…unless they’re Jane Eyre.
- Identify the Transition, “This happened”
- And its little pile of emotional baggage, “And I feel/felt this”
- “Here are my Pros and Cons”:
- This is worth Remembering (“I think this might help!”):